Sign up to receive email updates
Civil Rights Task Force
Oppose Racial and Religious Discrimination
- Advocate for the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Justice, the National Security Agency, and other federal agencies to limit bias-based profiling practices among its components and to include data collection and evidence-based research on racial profiling.
- Encourage the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice to address outstanding national and border security loopholes in the Department of Justice’s 2014 profiling guidance.
- Support legislation, such as the End Racial Profiling Act, that eliminates law enforcement practices of singling out people for heightened scrutiny based on their race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin.
- Require clarification on the collected evidence and research to ensure law enforcement officers rely on evidence-based approaches rather than untested and unproven “hunches” by supporting legislation such as the SAFE Justice Act and the Youth Promise Act.
- Encourage law enforcement officers to include community-based policing principles such as a representative police force or a police athletic league.
- Denounce racial and religious discrimination affecting Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs), including incidents related to post-9/11 backlash, China-bashing, and xenophobia.
- Support robust hate crimes and bias-based bullying protections, such as the Safe Schools Improvement Act, and strengthen anti-discrimination policies.
- Object to committee hearings and other legislative efforts that isolate and target specific religious or ethnic communities, including the American Muslim community, for heightened scrutiny.
- Support workplace religious freedom legislation and oppose religious discrimination in employment with government funding.
- Support workplace equality efforts for minorities, such as “ban the box” for employment applications.
- Support efforts to end faith-based workplace segregation.
Protect Voting Rights
- Support legislation, such as the Voting Rights Advancement Act and the Voter Empowerment Act, which protects the ability of individuals to exercise the right to vote.
- Monitor and advocate against voter identification requirement legislation and proof of citizenship bills at the state and federal levels.
- Support efforts to remove barriers to the voting process along with restoring voting rights to individuals with a conviction.
- Promote access to ballot language assistance for persons with Limited English Proficiency.
Promote Language Access
- Support efforts that help prevent discrimination against persons with Limited English Proficiency and ensure these individuals have access to critical governmental services.